|A few changes in your diet can do wonders and help you lose weight.|
|Sometimes simple changes can bring about big results. When it comes to losing weight, more often than not, it's all about numbers. "Simply think of your body like a machine," says Both Mueth, a dietitian in America's Belleville Memorial Hospital. "Calories in have to equal calories out in order to maintain your weight. The majority of us have calories in more than out. But all it takes is a little change to turn that the other way around."
It takes 7000 calories to build a kilogram. If you have a deficit of 100 calories every day for a year, you can easily shed that flab. But going on a diet where you give up everything you love is not going to work forever. Mueth adds, "A lot of people want weight loss to be their New Year's resolution," she says. "At any given time millions of people are trying different diets to lose weight, but most of the weight is regained as people return to their old eating habits. The key is to make small changes that are reasonable, achievable and realistic to maintain." She recommends people to write down everything they eat and drink and then look at small changes they can make in their eating patterns. So here are some easy ways to lose those extra kilos:
1. Switch from whole-milk products to skim-milk products. If you consume three servings a day, you can save up to 200 calories a day, or about 10 kilos!
2. When you go to a restaurant, ask for half of your portion to be put in a doggie bag right away. Even if you only go out twice a week, you'll easily save enough calories to lose 5 kgs this year.
3. Reduce the use of butter and margarine. Use applesauce in recipes instead of oil. Try fat-free, butter-flavored spreads or sprinkles (unless you're watching your salt). Simply eliminate the pat of butter on your morning toast.
4. Chill soups, gravies and that floats. Doing this can save you up to 100 calories a serving.
5. Use extra-lean ground chicken or ground turkey. Instead of bacon, use Canadian bacon or prosciutto, a lean Italian ham. Trim all fat from meat cuts.
6. Swap the carton juice for a real orange and you not only save more than 100 calories, you also get some fiber while you're at it.
7. Eliminate that daily c0offee-house run. Switching from cappuccino to regular coffee with artificial sweetener.
8. Switch from fried potato chips to the baked ones. Doing so saves 90 calories. If you do this every day, that's some five kilos lost!
9. Learn how to add 10 minutes of exercise a day. The Goal is 30 minutes a day. If you walk for just 30 minutes even just three 10-minute walks a day-you will not just lose the flab but be a healthier and fitter being next year.
10. Cut back on egg yolks. It's the yolk that contains virtually all of the fat and cholesterol. Try using egg substitutes or use two egg whites instead of one whole egg.
11. Use sugar substitute instead of sugar in all your baking. If you use a couple of teaspoons in your iced tea and a couple on your morning cereal, you could easily lose five kilos by switching to a substitute.
12. Switch your afternoon soda to a diet soda to save 150 calories a day. If you can't take diet soda, just downsize your soda portions. If you usually pick up a mug full of soda in the morning, switch to a small tea cup and save about 200 calories a day. That's about 10 kilos vanished into thin air!
13. Switch from 100-pluscalorie sandwich bread to the light whole-wheat bread. You save 100 calories per sandwich, and you get the benefit of good-for-you whole grains.
14. Swap out your cheese. Replace the cheddar or American cheese on your sandwich with some nonfat mozzarella.
15. Replace your regular beer with light beer and save about 50 calories per bottle.
16. Forgo regular bottled salad dressing (2 tablespoons, about 150 calories) for an equal portion of fat-free dressing (about 40 calories) for a net savings of at least 100 calories.
17. Take the stairs every day at work. If you go up and down often enough (say up and down five flights three or four times a day) you've got your 100 calories.
18. Don't supersize anything. Switching from the large fries at McDonald's to the small one. This will save you about 300 calories and doing that just twice a week can lead to a big weight loss.
19. Remove the skin from a chicken breast after cooking and save 100 calories each time.
20. Instead of topping ice cream with crumbled cookies, crushed chocolate candy or hot fudge, top it with 2 tablespoons of fresh berries and save about 100 calories.